Some of you may know, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 8 years ago, this turned my eating world upside down. A few months back, via allergy tests I have now found out that I cannot eat even gluten free grains, but it has nothing to do with a response to the grain itself but to the mold that forms on the grains when they are stored. So unless I begin to grow my own or know that they are immediately fresh and have not been in storage, I have to abstain from grain.
Late summer 2014 I began to remove all grain from my diet, my skin improved and I immediately lost weight due to inflammation and water weight caused by my reaction to mold. I was turned on to a few different grain free cookbooks and Against All Grain by Danielle Walker has been a wonderful influence in my day to day cooking.
Enough about me, let’s get down to a great recipe from the Against All Grain cookbook for Breakfast Cookies. These filling and delicious cookies are gluten and grain free with a vegan option by adding flax seeds and eliminating eggs. I tweaked my recipe by adding pecans instead of walnuts, and unfortunately dates were not available at the time so I just used unsweetened dark cherries. It was delicious, but next time I cannot wait to use the dates and will add in blueberries. I think you can just add whatever optional fruit or nuts you prefer.
They turn out very moist and delicious!
Breakfast Cookies (Paleo, SCD)
Danielle Walker – AgainstAllGrain.com
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond butter
- 6 pitted dried dates, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- ¾ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium eggs (or 2 tablespoons finely ground flaxseed + 5 tablespoons warm water)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dried unsweetened dark cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons currants
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- If you’re doing the vegan version, whisk your ground flax and warm water in a bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it has thickened.
- Combine the coconut flour, almond butter, and dates in a food processor. Process until well combined and the dates have broken up into really small pieces, about a minute.
- Add the shredded coconut, applesauce, eggs or flax “eggs”, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and baking soda and process for 30 seconds until a wet dough forms.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and pulse once or twice until the fruit is incorporated into the dough but chopped up.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large tablespoon, drop the dough in heaping spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with a SilPat or parchment paper.
- Dip a metal spatula in water, and use the bottom to lightly press down each ball of dough. These cookies will not spread or rise so make sure to make them the shape you want them prior to baking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until they are golden on top and slightly brown along the edges.
#grainfree #paleo #eatfit #prajnafit