Enough about me, let’s get down to a great recipe from the Against All Grain cookbook for Breakfast Cookies. These filling and delicious cookies are gluten and grain free with a vegan option by adding flax seeds and eliminating eggs. I tweaked my recipe by adding pecans instead of walnuts, and unfortunately dates were not available at the time so I just used unsweetened dark cherries. It was delicious, but next time I cannot wait to use the dates and will add in blueberries. I think you can just add whatever optional fruit or nuts you prefer.
They turn out very moist and delicious!
BREAKFAST COOKIES (PALEO, SCD)
Danielle Walker – AgainstAllGrain.com
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond butter
- 6 pitted dried dates, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- ¾ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium eggs (or 2 tablespoons finely ground flaxseed + 5 tablespoons warm water)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dried unsweetened dark cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons currants
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- If you’re doing the vegan version, whisk your ground flax and warm water in a bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it has thickened.
- Combine the coconut flour, almond butter, and dates in a food processor. Process until well combined and the dates have broken up into really small pieces, about a minute.
- Add the shredded coconut, applesauce, eggs or flax “eggs”, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and baking soda and process for 30 seconds until a wet dough forms.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and pulse once or twice until the fruit is incorporated into the dough but chopped up.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large tablespoon, drop the dough in heaping spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with a SilPat or parchment paper.
- Dip a metal spatula in water, and use the bottom to lightly press down each ball of dough. These cookies will not spread or rise so make sure to make them the shape you want them prior to baking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until they are golden on top and slightly brown along the edges.
#grainfree #paleo #eatfit #prajnafit
COCONUT FLOUR PANCAKES:
I have recently made the decision to eat completely grain free, that story, however, is for a completely separate post because you will so want to try this recipe and eat these yummy pancakes that take just minutes to prep and cook.
The recipe itself came from another great blog called Cheeseslave, but I have made some minor tweaks to the recipe to suit my tastebuds and I welcome you to do the same.
2 TBSP of Coconut Flour ( you can use Bob’s Redmill or I use Coconut Secret) both are great, I have used both but I find that you can purchase coconut secret for $2 less at Whole Foods. (You can also add in a bit of Almond meal or almond flour for a more nutty flavor)
1-2 Eggs lightly beaten
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/4 cup of whole milk, coconut milk or almond milk ( I have used only whole milk so you may need more or less if using other types of milk)
dash of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
Optional: mix in blueberries or raspberries, or some thinly cut banana
Wisk all ingredients in a small bowl and add more milk as needed – I tend to not measure exactly and just eyeball the amount. Make sure your mixture is not too thick nor too thin
Heating a medium sized pan, using butter or coconut oil to grease the pan, pour in the mixture to make dollar sized or little large pancakes. Keep the heat on medium and cook approximately for 3 -4 minutes on each side.
YIELDS UP TO 6-8 PANCAKES
Enjoy and please leave comments for how you made yours a little different, it is fun to share and swap recipe ideas!